Subject: Re: init.d is back
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/07/1999 09:07:11
On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 01:01:57 -0700 (MST)
 Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET> wrote:

 > I thought init.d was a fine idea, too, until I started using NetBSD and
 > realized that for some strange and mysterious reason, every time I typed
 > ``halt'', my box promptly and cleanly shut itself down, unmounted _all_
 > the filesystems, and sync'ed the disks.  And it did it every time.  Coming
 > from the Linux world, I thought this rather odd.  Normally, one needs to
 > wait while each subsystem shuts itself down, and if one of them won't,
 > neither will your box.

Ok, I normally really like your long ... enthusiastic messages ... however,
I am forced to nit-pick on this issue.  Even with init.d, if you run "halt",
the machine will quickly halt like it does now.  Only if you run "shutdown"
will it go through the "kill all system daemons in an orderly fashion"
song-and-dance.

I don't think anyone was proposing any different.