Subject: Re: Why people know what FreeBSD and OpenBSD are, but not NetBSD
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/07/1999 01:11:56
On 6 Dec 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> As opposed to the textbooks available for BSD?

ah, well, what do i know.  all they taught me was disk seek algorithms
used in mainframes made before i was born and the layout of the MS-DOS
boot sector.

our textbook was a glossy paperback about Windows NT.  we learned about
VirtualAlloc and _beginthreadex.  it was like some kind of sick joke.
i'd be overjoyed to learn about Mach VM and vnd stuff that died out five
years ago.

but, I see your point.  blame the IEEE curriculum reccommendation.

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US