Subject: Re: Why people know what FreeBSD and OpenBSD are, but not NetBSD.
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/07/1999 02:16:17
On 6 Dec 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

> Since current users can continue to use /etc/rc as it is, and new
> users get something closer to the /etc/init.d style of things (which
> is probably what they expect) who loses again?

You'll have to explain to me your plan for preserving current
/etc/rc semantics and also incorporating SysV-style startup stuff.
I can't say I understand how you feel they'd be the same. Please
also make sure you explain how the package system works with all
of this.

(Note that I'm never in favour of making something new where
something existing works well, or even mostly well. And I've been
bricked for this, too. :-))

> I think I'll be organizing a CD release.

Now that's what I like to hear!

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.