Subject: Re: Why people know what FreeBSD and OpenBSD are, but not NetBSD.
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/06/1999 23:35:00
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:

> You'll have to explain to me your plan for preserving current
> /etc/rc semantics and also incorporating SysV-style startup stuff.
> I can't say I understand how you feel they'd be the same. Please
> also make sure you explain how the package system works with all
> of this.

Well, if /etc/rc drove the /etc/init.d configuration stuff (that is,
it was what started the scripts there) you could simply:

	(1)  keep the current /etc/rc script, avoiding init.d
             completely.

	(2)  install the new /etc/rc, which will use init.d.
	     There is no reason you can't install your current rc
	     script as /etc/init.d/S00oldrc or the like.

	(3)  Hack together both, perhaps using /etc/rc.conf to select
             if you want to use one or the other.

Use of init.d style startup should be the default.

> (Note that I'm never in favour of making something new where
> something existing works well, or even mostly well. And I've been
> bricked for this, too. :-))

I've got a nice collection of bricks here, too.  :)

--Michael