Subject: Re: One Size Fits All
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Frank Warren <clovis@home.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/04/1999 14:36:04
This was well after the package system, earlier this year, in fact.  There
are few to no business applications for NetBSD, and the talk about the WINE
project didn't get it.  The programmers were all exceedingly well served by
the stuff the NetBSD guy brought along.  But nobody else was.  And, really,
this is part of what Dennie Ritchie was saying so long ago.  The statement
unix makes, very strongly, is that operating systems are all about
developing new software.  Few environments in history have done as well at
this as UNIX.

The corollary, of course, is that it has been pretty well neglected for
everything else.  The average user isn't going to "get it."  And probably
does not want to in the first place.

BSD, and let's be honest, folks, has a way different mission than Windows.