Subject: Re: PS2
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Ethan Bakshy <ethan@mail.enteract.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/04/1999 16:09:15
On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 02:02:25PM -0700, Miles Nordin wrote:
> > The NetBSD CD/DVD-ROM's would have to be _very_ droolproof
>
> the more droolproof the better, but i don't fully agree.  i think a first
> release of _anything_ that (1) worked and (2) had a web browser in it,
> would blow people's socks off.  in the sense that CD's are read-only, it's
> somewhat foolproof because, unlike Office 2000, they are guaranteed that
> it will work exactly the same the next time they switch on, no matter what
> they do to it.

Not sure how much I'd agree. Are you impressed by the web browser that
comes with Dreamcast? I mean, when I first thought about it and played
with it, it was real cool, but then I realized- Hey, wait, all I can do
is surf the net, email, and irc. A webTV or whatever can do that.
Why not just use my computer for that, since it would work _a_lot_
better. And its just a web browser.

I think it would take more than just a web browser and email
client to impress people.

I think an attractive, easy to use GUI, organizational apps, irc,
an AIM/ICQ client to impress the 15-year-old's, web browsing-- maybe
even media applications. Like The GIMP and whats that really impressive
3D modeling app? I forget. But the PS2 is a multimedia workhouse, why
not exploit it? Even just a little KDE setup would be pretty cool to run
on a PS2, don't you think?

Have you tried the BeOS Demo Disc? It is very impressive, esp. since
you don't need to save anything, and if you _really_ want to, you can
use a floppy to store customization customize stuff. And its just about
as function :chuckle: as the actual full blown, HD-installed BeOS.

So it would be very impressive if we could pull something like that off
on a PS2.

--
ethan@enteract.com