Subject: Re: One Size Fits All
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/04/1999 16:06:53
[I'm not reading netbsd-advocacy at present; if you wish me to see a
copy of your post, I'll need to be included on the copy-to list.]

Because I wish not to engage in something that could well erupt into a
flamefest, I'll not respond to each of your points individually.
Please understand that this is no slight -- in many ways, you're
right.

Whilst each group could reasonably be accused of attempting to become
the One True =DCbersystem, I was making observations about what is true=

of each, in practice, comparatively speaking.  Note that my post was
indeed carefully worded.  I didn't say OpenBSD is more secure than
anything, that FreeBSD is more stable, or that NetBSD is more
portable.  I simply commented on the motivations and interests of each
of the groups, which in practice, is the particular "focus" of the
project.  I stand by my statement that each of the BSDs has a
different focus than the others, and that focus tends to make itself
manifest in the way that the system is put together.

I was amused that my commentary was taken as the sort of gushy
nontechnical junk that troubles us so.  My writings have been the
target of many an accusation, but that might be the first of that
type.  You are correct in observing that I wore my diplomatic face.
But please bear in mind the original poster's question.  It was
someone who is obviously not a part of any BSD community asking why
there are so many BSDs.  (Related questions might be things like Why
can't we all get along?  Don't we bicker and argue among ourselves
over trivial matters that no one but the people involved in the
arguments really understand anyway?)

I answered the poster's question in a way that he can understand and
in a way that is, in fact, true.  Each of us focuses in slightly
different areas, though much of what we're trying to accomplish
overlaps.  I intended it to be some food for thought to make the
poster get a glimpse into the world of BSD and conclude that he should
try each and see which he likes.

--=20
Matt Curtin cmcurtin@interhack.net http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcu=
rtin/