Subject: Re: NetBSD in Action
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/24/1999 12:40:18
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, David Maxwell wrote:

> Does anyone else find the .png images are very washed-out ?
> (I do, as viewed in Netscape 4.61 - NetBSD 1.4/i386 & afterstep)

try 'netscape -install' if you have an 8bpp framebuffer.

They look all right on 4.7/macppc, but Netscape starts Quicktime to view
them.  Then, it offers no scroll bars.  but it works.  you can only see
the center of the screen, that's all.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, though.  The move to PNG is serious
and well-publicized, and i think it was hyped on Slashdot, and I've
noticed a lot of sites starting to do it.  some of the stuff was downright
furious--my impression of the GNU position was something like ``We don't
care if you never see another image on our site, ever.  Blame Unisys, not
us.'' so, a lot of the audience will probably know if their browser has
png trouble and correctly blame their browser.  I think the points we get
for supporting PNG are worth the points we lose for the inconvenience.
As long as the images are correct (in xv, or something reliable), i'm not
too worried about the impression we're making.

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US