Subject: Re: [Frank da Cruz : Re: Kermit and
To: Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/23/1999 11:02:16
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Frank da Cruz wrote:

> >  - we can NOT put up source for people's convenience
> >
> I am suggesting that you can put up source too if it's in some kind of NetBSD
> package format like RPM, whatever you use.  Maybe I'm just not understanding
> this package business very well...  Anyway, I'm trying to find a solution that
> will work for both of us.

NetBSD packages don't bundle the source with the binary, as Red Hat
does, the idea being that most people would want to download either
one or the other, but not both. We incidently comply with the GPL by
simply offering both. For the packages that have restrictions of some
sort or anther on redistribution, generally, neither the source nor
the binary is offered.

The "hooks" are in place, however, for the user to download the
source, build, install and register the package, even to make his own
binary package. The problem with that, of course, is that some users
just want to download a binary and be done with it.

Since you've generously offered to host NetBSD binaries, to have the
binary package(s) live on your site seems to be the natural solution.
We could put language in the DESCR--which is linked to by the page
which normally lists the binary packages--to direct the user to your
site to download binaries, or even to offer them (to you) for upload.