Subject: Re: See NetBSD in Action (well, not yet ;)
To: None <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/23/1999 07:01:12
Andrew Brown writes:
> >> forgive me for being the cynic here, but what do these screen shots
> >> show that says netbsd?  they could just as easily have been taken from
> >> any platform that runs an x server.
> >
> >If you only knew how many people ask me `Can you run KDE?', `Can you
> >run GNOME?', `Can you run StarOffice?', ...
>
> ah, of course.  the "boson" factor.  :)
>
> yes, of course, screen snapshots that show that we can do that too are
> good.  i was just lamenting the fact that there's no real way for it
> to say "NetBSD" in the screen shots.

I completely agree with your sentiments.  I could just yank down the
existing fancy desktop images from somewhere and re-submit them, saying
they're from my NetBSD machine. :-)

Does anyone have any good suggestions about out to "validate" the image
to sort of prove it is a NetBSD screenshot?  I'm not asking about some
ironclad proof, just a generic suggestion.  Something like all screenshots
should have www.netbsd.org in a browser, (X or lynx in an xterm), etc.
Just some consistent method of demonstrating that "Yes, this is NetBSD!"

I'm having difficulty thinking of anything clever.  Obviously any image
can be faked, but ignoring the reprobates, what can we do?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.