Subject: Re: See NetBSD in Action (well, not yet ;)
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/21/1999 14:40:40
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Andrew Brown wrote:

> forgive me for being the cynic here, but what do these screen shots
> show that says netbsd?  they could just as easily have been taken from
> any platform that runs an x server.

that is true.

> from a cynic's point of view, all i see is x windows running a few
> things here or a few different things there.  the "flashy" part is
> mainly just what the windows contain or what the window manager does
> with the windows.  none of which is anything that actually identifies
> the netbsdishness of things.
>
> all i see is a bunch of platform-independent applications being used,
> which shows me only that it's not windows/macos/beos (although you
> could also confuse that with enough work on a window manager).

well, not to ask a silly question, but what in a screen shot could really
say "hey, this is NetBSD and you can't do this with an Xserver on some
other platform"

I guess with mine, I was going for more of "don't think you need windows
or solaris for this type of work because we have it too".

-Dan