Subject: Re: See NetBSD in Action (well, not yet ;)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/20/1999 11:55:05
I think that what we are realy after is:

"Hey I pulled this old heap of crap out of my garage and now I have
a Unix box with NetBSD!"

Interest in Unix, as a result in the growth of the Internet, is taking
care of getting people interested in wanting to run unix.  I think the
great advantage of NetBSD is the number of platforms it supports.  Not
everyone wants to go out and buy a machine to run Linux or some other
free un*x.  All they have to do is take that old MacIIcx out of the
garage and slap down some NetBSD on it.

I just recently came back from an auction with over 30 MacII class machines
for only $40.  I mixed and match bits and pieces together and put together
a pretty sweet IIci (64M RAM, 4GB disk, three frame buf's, ethernet).

Sure it is slow, but you really can't beat the price, especially if
I can sell most of my left over bits.

Today I have been installing NetBSD on a second IIci.  I have two more
I want to bring up.  I am not sure what I am going to do with 4 NetBSD
mac68k machines, but hey, I am a computer geek and it is fun just to
install them. (Gee maybe I can set up a 4 node cluster, too bad it
will still be slower than my "real" workstation (PII, running Linux, sorry)).

The point is that you can do alot with outdated hardware.  Much more than
the originally intened OS can do.

I think advocacy should focus on all the cool stuff you can do with
hardware than most people think is garbage.

Michael Hogsett