Subject: Re: See NetBSD in Action (well, not yet ;)
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Ethan Bakshy <ethan@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/20/1999 13:40:49
On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 02:30:13PM -0500, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> yeah.  Well, I guess #1 is "look you can do engineering/scientific work
> with NetBSD because we have scientific apps and good packages for
> scientific papers"  I do have an xdvi open where you can see a figure that
> was drawn with the open tgif window.
I think he has a good point w/ #2- I even downloaded some of the
software I saw in his shot. I don't think that we should just target
the average person that just wants to do chatting, emailing, news and
surfing the net, or even just the business people- but also the
scientific/engineering/computer people, who may be using windoze or
linux just because it seems like the best solution. We have to show
people that NetBSD can do a lot, and you don't need pretty M$ Office style
apps to do it with. People can use LaTeX, xdvi, Tgif, scilab, and other
apps for their scientific type needs.

> I did avoid xterms with code in them though.
Hey. We have to have one shot of that, don't we <g>. I guess xterms are
sort of scary, but I think it is important to show that NetBSD is also
a development platform and not some 'multimedia consumer-based
operating system' or something. although, it can be, and that also she
be represented...

--
ethan@enteract.com