Subject: Re: New arm32 platform
To: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
From: Tony Beaumont <triffid@argonet.co.uk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/25/1999 19:29:04
On 25 Oct, Neil A. Carson <carson@causality.com> wrote:
> On 25 Oct 1999, Julian Assange wrote:

> > Maybe one of the arm guru's should write to rebel.com and beg for a dev kit.

> I do not consider myself a guru, but I tried. Basically Netwinder is
> a Linux platform and will always be marketed as one, .'. no interest in
> any other OSs. All I could get was a msall discount on an otherwise
> still too high price. AFAIR NetBSD works on the thing with minimal mods,
> its just that you need to re-flash the boot code with something that can
> load the kernels first, which is the most major obstacle.

> 	Neil

What I would like is to be able to use the Netwinder as a server for a
small herd of RiscOS machines, as well as the odd PC, Mac, Sun and maybe
RiscBSD machines as well. Technically I guess it should be possible using
TCP/IP, though in practical terms probably not worth the hassle to go that
cross-platform.

I'll certainly be interested in using it as a server for four or five
RiscOS machines in due course. Of course, we can use NT Server for the
purpose, but I don't believe in using M$ more than we absolutely have to,
so in practice we have stayed peer-peer.

Tony