Subject: Re: Chuck-on-a-card?
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/27/1999 12:25:43
seebs@plethora.net writes:
> In message <199909271559.LAA10427@ghost.whirlpool.com>, Andrew Gillham writes:
>
> >How many people would be willing to sign up for a credit card where
> >50% went to NetBSD and 50% to Micro$oft? (or any to M$ for that matter)
>
> I might.
>
> What if MS users were signing up too?
>
> I'd rather have MS get ten cents for every NetBSD user, and TNF get ten cents
> for every MS user, than have no such deal; it's better for us than it is for
> them.  ;-)

Hmm, ok.  How about if 50% goes to some baby killing satanist drug dealing
scum, and 50% goes to NetBSD?  Still think the money is "clean" enough?

Sure, free money is free money, but I think there should be limits.  Sharing
with *BSD is certainly acceptable to me, if there is no better deal for
NetBSD.

> >Sure, NetBSD would benefit, but at what cost? :-)
>
> I would argue, "no cost".

Well, not for *BSD really, but perhaps for other alignments.

> Well, I do know we get users from them occasionally (especially non-i386
> users; I've got a friend nearly convinced to just give up and migrate
> his alpha over).  We also certainly *COULD* steal code if we wanted to, and
> I think we should; their CAM system is, by all accounts, one of the nicer
> SCSI interfaces out there, and it has support for a large variety of
> controllers we currently can't support.

Right, but then NetBSD is keeping FreeBSD alive also by this argument.
If we're talking about sharing code and users.

My basic take on this would be if TNF is going to officially sponsor,
support, or recognize a credit card, they should have a TNF credit card
if at all possible.  I think running for a *BSD only card and then asking
TNF to support it is backwards.  Now if there is a quantity issue, and the
only way it could be done is via a *BSD card, I think that would be cool.

Regardless, this is just _one_ NetBSD user's opinion.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.