Subject: Re: Free Canadian hosting of NetBSD International with strong crypto.
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/06/1999 10:42:37
On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 09:15:08AM -0400, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:
>
> > Americans in the NetBSD core can openly upload
> > (export) strong crypto to a Canadian ftp/web server, which anyone in
> > the world can download from, without breaking any US laws.
>
> As I understand it, that is not the case at all. ITAR explicitly
> makes it illegal for an American to make crypto code covered by
> ITAR available to foreigners, except Canadians. Thus, uploading
> the code to a server in Canada that then makes it available to
> foreigners is just as bad as setting up the server in the US.

I agree. The license always states (from a Canadian perspective)

(paraphrased) "You can export strong crypto from the US to Canada,
but the recipient (The Canadian citizen) must agree not to re-export
that to anywhere outside the US or Canada."

That statement has been so clear in every script I've seen, I don't
understand how the OpenBSD people feel they can ignore that.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,