Subject: Re: Free Canadian hosting of NetBSD International with strong crypto.
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/06/1999 09:15:08
On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

> Americans in the NetBSD core can openly upload
> (export) strong crypto to a Canadian ftp/web server, which anyone in
> the world can download from, without breaking any US laws.

As I understand it, that is not the case at all. ITAR explicitly
makes it illegal for an American to make crypto code covered by
ITAR available to foreigners, except Canadians. Thus, uploading
the code to a server in Canada that then makes it available to
foreigners is just as bad as setting up the server in the US.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org