Subject: Re: SETI
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/30/1999 17:36:37
Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> writes:
> Is there a 'shark' client and should I redirect the 60 sharks currently
> running for the NetBSD team in the rc5.distributed.net competition towards
> the SETI effort?
>
> (the rc5.distributed.net competition has recently grown boring)

It would be nice, wouldn't it, especially since this actually can have
a positive impact on the world of radio astronomy. Unfortunately, you
really need an FPU to do this right because all the calculations are
extremely FPU intensive, so I don't know what a Shark's performance
would be like.

Perry
Who has four sharks of his own that he'd like to devote to the task, but...