Subject: Re: "Why to BSD in a Linux World"
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/03/1999 10:42:08
On Sunday,  2 May 1999 at  9:36:43 -0300, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 02:26:28PM +0200, Thilo Manske wrote:
>> I just read this article:
>> http://www.computerbits.com/archive/19990300/bsd.htm
>> (found the link in the news section of the latest daemonnews issue)
>>
>> Jason Downs, an OpenBSD developer writes:
>> "Open-BSD's focus is on security, FreeBSD's goal is to be easier to
>> use and to have better performance, while NetBSD is mostly an academic
>> research platform".
>>
>> Well, I'm not really happy about the last part since (IMHO) it impies
>> that NetBSD isn't designed or used for "Real Work"(TM)... :-/.
>
> It also implies that OpenBSD's focus is on securing an academic
> research platform ;-p
>
> I'll ask if that can be changed. (the web page)
> Aside from that nit, so far, it looks well written.

I can understand his problem.  When I wrote an article for SunWorld, I
sent messages to NetBSD and OpenBSD asking "what's special about your
version of BSD?".  The OpenBSD people answered (approximately)
"Open-BSD's focus is on security".  The NetBSD response was closer to
"Open-BSD says their focus is on security, but we're just as secure".
Sure, this is a simplification, but I was left without anything
obvious to say about NetBSD.  I thought about this for a while, and I
think I did a fair job of explaining what each one is about, but I'm
always left with a feeling that I can't adequately explain what NetBSD
is good for.  My personal feeling is "Of course it runs NetBSD": in
other words, it's a BSD version which runs on nearly all platforms.
Is that fair?

Greg