Subject: Re: Emulation info... [part 2]
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Paul Wain <paul.wain@nc.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/27/1999 23:25:41
He all,

Matthew Orgass wrote:

> 1) Are there any syscalls missing (for Linux, anything other then clone)?

Does the glibc work? I thought this was the main reason say the Mozilla
binary Linux release didnt work on my machine? (And say StarOffice for
Linux). Obviously thinks like Wine binary releases dont work because of clone
working. Ive also noticed some oddities in Linux emulation of sound cards
because I had a misconfigured kernel but that was my fault :)

> 3) Is Linux emulation at all functional on anything other then i386?

I thought that there was some baseline support for PPC but I havent looked
that way recently. Certainly ArmLinux isnt supported

> 4) Does anyone know the status of the following Linux applications:
> * WordPerfect

Yes, I use that some of the time, works fine. You can import Word9x docs and
edit and print them etc. The installer works too. Ive only tried the eval
version though.

> * Oracle

Not sure, but I thought there was some email on current-users about that
working a few weeks ago.

In addition I know that Acroread (Acrobat 3.x reader) and Netscape for Linux
all work (bug for bug compatible, I even get the black Netscape Icons in
32bpp mode under X :)

Cheers,

Paul
| Paul Wain                         || Tel: +1 650 631 GOAT (4628)     |
| Network Computer Inc.             || Web: http://www.nc.com/         |
| Redwood Shores, CA 94040          ||                                 |