Subject: Filthy hipsters are killing us.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/22/1999 12:51:32
Sigh.  Forgive me if this smells like a rant.

Maybe it's just too much coffee this morning, but man oh man am I frustrated.  I've been
an avid supporter of NetBSD since 0.8 on my trusty A3000, and I've run it on four
different architectures, dozens of machines, in the past six years.  I love this operating
system:  I still believe that it is, at its core, a technically superior OS to Linux, or
FreeBSD, or any other UNIX variant.  But I am so frustrated at seeing the delusions and
the misrepresentations out there regarding NetBSD.  To add to that, the recent e-mails
about our core (which really is in a higher state of flux than Chernobyl at T minus one),
has really bugged me.

And technically, we _do_ have some shortcomings.  For an SMP RAID server, NetBSD won't
fly.  I've got a black cloud over my head whenever I have to install Linux on our
dual-processor Alphas; this is an architecture where NetBSD really ought to shine.

So, simple question.  I'm not a programmer.  Tried it once, brain's too full.  So what can
I do?  I mean, besides advocacy, what does the project right now _really need_??  (And
unfortunately, I can't donate our company's Alphas to the cause)

Perhaps it's time to hunker down and weather the Linux wave.  At some level, what's good
for them is good for us.  But it doesn't help when pimply-faced slashdotters dis their
brothers at every turn; this translates into major FUD for NetBSD in the media.

Perhaps, in the end, we need our own hipster-bebop-junkie advocacy site.  BaShDot.org,
anyone?

David Hopper
Global Event Services, Inc.
http://www.globalesi.com