Subject: Re: Merced
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 23:31:17
> To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Merced
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> Date: 20 Apr 1999 17:40:43 -0400
>

> [Followups only to netbsd-advocacy]
>
> Okay, speaking of "things the user community can do for NetBSD"...
>
> I saw this earlier today in a news report about Linus Torvalds
> speaking at a conference:
>
>  A team working under non-disclosure is working on porting Linux to
>  Intel Corp.'s forthcoming Merced, Torvalds said, so that a
>  Merced-optimized version of Linux will be available the day the chip
>  ships.
>
> So, here's a perfect opportunity for the -advocacy types. NetBSD will
> obviously port very easily to the Merced. It would be ultra-cool to
> release around the time the Merced comes out. All we really need is
> the right contacts at Intel to assure that we get our hands on
> hardware, etc. We could also put together a non-disclosed team
> provided our output was publicly distributable when the processor is
> released.

I really like NetBSD!

But, this is being done as a commercial venture under contract to
Intel. The company that currently holds the contract is VA Research
and they are looking for people to hire to do this.

So while I think it would be cool to get NetBSD ported over to Merced.
I'm of the opinion this would have to be done as a commerical venture
and unfortunately there are no pure NetBSD shops like VA Research.
Hey maybe there's a market for this stuff afterall.. 8-)

-brad w.