Subject: Re: NetBSD port www homepage rewriters needed
To: Steve Woodford <swoodfor@bluews.com>
From: Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@spacestar.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 22:29:58
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Steve Woodford wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Brian Ginsbach wrote:
>
> > I've changed the page.  Does the new wording sound better?  Should
> > the VMEbus driver be on the "Notes on VME boards" page as a part
> > of the supported/unsupported on-board hardware?
>
> Looks much better now. I think the VMEbus driver note should be
> mentioned in both places.

Done.

> > This was lifted from the Motorola Computer Group description.  I
> > took it at face value.  I've changed it to "... is mostly hardware
> > compatible ...".  Does this sound better?
>
> Hmm, I'm still not convinced. What is worth mentioning is that:
>
>   * Application code for any m68k-based NetBSD platform will
>     run on both mvme147 and mvme167 without change.
>   * If necessary, a single kernel image can be built which
>     will boot on both types of board.

Ok.  I've removed the offending statement.  I've added a new section
to the "Boards" page called "General Comments".  I put the above
statements in this section.

> > + What are the chips for the MVME147 (serial, ethernet, etc.)?
> >   I'd like to keep the MVME147 section to a similar level of detail
> >   as the MVME167 section.
>
> MVME147 Onboard Hardware:
>         SCSI: Western Digital wd33c93
>         Ethernet: AM7990 LANCE
>         Rs232: Two Zilog Z8530 dual serial controllers
>
>         The other MVME147 devices are implemented in custom ASICs

Thanks.  Details added.

> > + Is there a better description for the i82596 Ethernet controller?
> >   Like who's chip it is?  (I'm showing my ignorance.)
>
> Well, it's an Intel chip and the description is about as good as
> it gets! ;-)

That was basically all I wanted to know.

> > + Any known working VMEbus RAM boards?  Sort of like the transition
> >   boards list. (This list was taken from MCG documentation as the
> >   supported boards for the MVME147 and MVME167.)
>
> Any VMEbus RAM board which does not require software to set it up
> should work. I can't remember the Moto part number of my VME RAM
> board offhand.

I've added the a "VMEbus RAM Board" section.  Since I don't have
any models of known working boards, it is empty for now.  I've
put in a solititation for known working boards.  Once this is on
the web site someone could get emailed these.  I'd be willing to
maintain the page.  The maintainer should probably have a netbsd.org
mailing address.

> I think the page looks pretty neat now. All we need, IMHO, is
> permission to use Motorola's logos and it can be put in
> www.netbsd.org. Thanks for the help Brian!

Thanks for saying so.  I'll see about drafting a note to Motorola
asking for permission.  It doesn't sound like anyone has done
this for the other logos.  If they have I'd like to find out how
they went about it.  I'm VERY open to help and input on this!

Again for those not following along.  A draft version of the
homepage for the mvme68k port can be found at
http://reality.sgi.com/ginsbach/netbsd/mvme68k.html.
Do to possible copyright/permission questions the Motorola logo
and Motorola Computer Group logo will not show up.

Later,
Brian
--
Brian Ginsbach                                  <ginsbach@spacestar.net>