Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 22:15:02
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Ken Nakata wrote:

> > As an example: consider SMP.  We have a project blessed by core to
> > implement SMP in NetBSD.  As a result, if you or I try to implement
> > SMP in NetBSD, none of our work is likely to be accepted by core.  We
> > wouldn't even *try* to work on SMP, even if we were confident we could
> > succeed, because it would be a waste of time.  This is cathedral model
> > pure and simple.
>
> I happen to value coordination and cooperation more than competition,
> and so does NetBSD, I believe.  Partly because competition is likely
> to wind up with *lots* of duplicate works that are incompatible with
> each other.

Well, I think this is a bad example to use because we're currently
blessed with no works whatsoever. It's been nearly two years since
I heard an SMP project was going, and don't appear to have anything
to show for it.

(Little SMP-related bits are starting to go in now, though; Jason
has done some stuff in this area, and pk has some stuff in the low
levels of the sparc port to initialise multiple CPUs.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org