Subject: Re: core resignations
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 22:08:45
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> You've come very close -- without *quite* saying it -- to saying that
> `core' is simply not allowed to ever reject code from someone.

That wasn't at all how I read it.

I think the point he's trying to make is that it's not whether or
not the code is rejected, it's *how* it's rejected. One can make
the guy feel good for trying, or one can make him feel like a moron.
Guess which tends to keep people interested in the project?

And to anticipate a common response when this subject comes up:

    "He was never called a moron. It's his fault for being so stupid
    as to interpret those remarks that way."

Well, that doesn't really matter does it? The end result is that
a potential developer has been driven away due to a lack of tact.
And when you're talking about tact, the end result is all that
counts.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.