Subject: Re: core resignations (was Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.)
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 21:11:25
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:

> This is all well and good, but I wish core had had this attitude
> a bit farther back.  I don't  even remember what it was that I had
> subMitted, but it was rejected bY one partiCulaR member OF core with
> no more constructive criTicism than "This is an egregious hack".
> No explanation, nothing to tell me why it was so.

Sure sounds like someone I know.

There are certain personalities involved in the NetBSD project
that, well, have their flaws. (To put it in the nicest possible
terms.) If you spend any time involved with NetBSD, you're going
to run into someone who's going to make you ready to quit. If you're
lucky, you may work it out with that person and be ok for a while,
if not, you're going to have a constant thorn in your side. All
I've found you can really do, if trying to be nice and work things
out doesn't produce any improvement, is say, `It's worth the pain,'
grit your teeth, and bear it as best you can.

It may help to remember that you're not the only one that this
happens to. I've just about quit the project twice due to abuse,
a release engineer abandoned a release due to abuse, and the
complaints of those who have left core speak for themselves.

Anyway, such is life in the NetBSD world, at least at the moment.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org