Subject: Re: SoftPRO
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 11:49:16
>>>>> "seebs" == seebs  <seebs@plethora.net> writes:

seebs> I have a 2x and a 4x lying idle most of the time.  I'd be more
seebs> than happy to burn CD's.

I may have access to a CD burner within a month or so, and I'd be
willing to put it to good use.

seebs> Anyone wanna start on a manual?

I think we should make an addition to the pkgsrc system, starting with
an entire category devoted to distribution.  Within that category, we
should make a template (but functional) package which will build an
"official" NetBSD CD (with whatever source or architectures are deemed
appropriate).  The package would grab files from ftp.netbsd.org,
extract as many of them as necessary, install mkisofs (or mkhybrid),
possibly cdrecord, cdlabelgen (or whatever it's called).  Then it
would build a spiffy-looking label.  If you type "make burn", it'll
even burn the CD for you, using the values of various environment
variables to figure out where you CD-R is at.

Other packages in this category could be customized to have boot code
for different architectures, or to include crypto stuff, or whatever.
Packages could also be included, in various forms.

The advantage of this would be that joebob, who wants to make a NetBSD
CD to take home, or to give to his friend, or whatever, doesn't have
to think about how to make it or what to put on it.  As a result, we
end up with lots of users producing "official" NetBSD CD's.  There's
really something to be said for consistency.

I'd love to work on this, but I won't be able to for probably at least
a month, which seems like too long.  Anybody else?

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu