Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: None <lennox@alcita.com>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 10:59:06
On 19 Apr 1999 19:31:18 -0400, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> The number of people who have commit privilege is really irrelevant to
> whether it's a cathedral or bazaar style of development.  What's
> relevant is the process by which new code is accepted into the tree.

Oh, I get it.  Combination of coordination and cooperation is
cathedral whereas competition is bazaar.  I see where you are driving
at.

> As an example: consider SMP.  We have a project blessed by core to
> implement SMP in NetBSD.  As a result, if you or I try to implement
> SMP in NetBSD, none of our work is likely to be accepted by core.  We
> wouldn't even *try* to work on SMP, even if we were confident we could
> succeed, because it would be a waste of time.  This is cathedral model
> pure and simple.

I happen to value coordination and cooperation more than competition,
and so does NetBSD, I believe.  Partly because competition is likely
to wind up with *lots* of duplicate works that are incompatible with
each other.

> In the Linux community, and to a lesser extent the
> FreeBSD community, it's permissible, sometimes even encouraged, for
> competing groups of people to work on the same feature.  That's the
> essence of the bazaar.

Yeah, and there's some big mess caused precisely by this development
model which I would share with you if I were the first party.

Ken