Subject: Re: SoftPRO
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/20/1999 02:06:09
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 seebs@plethora.net wrote:
> Anyone wanna start on a manual?

OK, just to throw in something, here 's what I did when 1.3.2 came out:

 - put 1.3.2 release for alpha, amiga and i386 on a CD
   (just because *I* used these platforms then)
 - include X for these platforms (well, basically part of the release)
 - Add binary packages for these systems
 - The image from www.netbsd.org on the frontside with some brief
   description of what's on this CD (NetBSD + X + pkgs for the archs
   mentioned above).
 - Documentation was quite just a couple of pointers printed on the
   back of the CD:
    * To install the base system, look into release/<arch>/INSTALL
    * To install X, look into release/<arch>/INSTALL.X11
    * To add binary packags from pkg/<arch>/All, type
      "pkg_add pkg/<arch>/All/foo-x.y.tgz"
    * For more information see http://www.netbsd.org/,
      ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/ or mail majordomo@netbsd.org with "help"
      in body.

The CD was really minimaliastic from both effort to produce and people it
went to (not much more than 5), but it really *was* easy to do.
And I think something like this *would* actually sell.

Maybe I'll repeat this when 1.4 is out. :-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>