Subject: None
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/19/1999 17:44:22
>Maybe we need to consider a bit of marketing ourselves and advertise
>ourselves as "Free-NetBSD" or "Open-NetBSD".  "Multi-platform-FreeBSD"
>probably wouldn't set to well with our FreeBSD brothers, but it seems to

I've had a couple of people (friends, colleagues) assert that they
were running FreeBSD code on their Alphas, mips boxes, or
what-have-you, Going back 3 or 4 years.  Even when I asked cautiously
if they didn't mean NetBSD, they said, no, they were running FreeBSD.

Makes me think is if the world knows about Linux, and FreeBSD, and
that's it.  But it gets kinda weird when people extoll the virtues of
Linux on vaxes. (NB: Linux doesn't run on vaxes; NetBSD again).

The take-home lesson seems to be that NetBSD's brand-name recognition
is way, way below most people's radar horizons (One might say that's a
failing of Core, but then it doesn't seem to have been a real
priority).  But since NetBSD is not _known_, it doesn't get mentioned
(or gets incorreclty identified). Which becomes a vicious circle.