Subject: Re: NetBSD: Certified mom-ready.
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/19/1999 19:21:24
Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

>>It sure doesn't look that way to me.  Though they have always spent a lot of
>>effort to make it look so at a casual glance...
>
>The general masses seem to know about OpenBSD more than they know about
>NetBSD.  I know, it's hard to judge that .... but for example,
>regarding the User Friendly cartoon we saw a little while ago, it was
>FreeBSD versus OpenBSD ... why wasn't it FreeBSD versus NetBSD?

How much of this is caused by the names?  FreeBSD is obviously "free",
OpenBSD is obviously "open", but what is NetBSD?   A Network BSD?  That
doesn't sound free.

I've been burning CDs of NetBSD for people who ask for the last couple of
years, and I can't count the number of times I get e-mail asking me for a
copy of FreeBSD for their Mac, Sun, Amiga, Atari, etc.

Maybe we need to consider a bit of marketing ourselves and advertise
ourselves as "Free-NetBSD" or "Open-NetBSD".  "Multi-platform-FreeBSD"
probably wouldn't set to well with our FreeBSD brothers, but it seems to
do a better job of explaining what NetBSD really is.

-bob