Subject: Re: SoftPRO
To: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/19/1999 16:14:18
In message <199904192108.AA01293@quatre.pa.dec.com>, Hal Murray writes:
>> I'd love to see it happen.  I have a CD burner and a very very small amount
>> of free time.  Anyone else?  Maybe we can make stone soup.  :)

>A CD for a mom ready system?

Yeah.

Actually, speaking of, I thought of a truly wonderful application for NetBSD.

I need a bootable CD with a real OS on it.  NetBSD looks perfect.  If this
works, I'll try to productize it, maybe.

The idea:

You run a script.  It asks for floppies.  For each floppy, it does its best
to identify the filesystem format, tries to figure out what the disk is, and
asks for a description.  You can also categorize floppies.

When you're done, you tell it to make a CD.  It makes a CD which will boot
up under NetBSD, allow you to browse your catalog, and allow you to make disks
from it - all you need is a recognized CD-ROM drive and a recognized floppy.
You don't even need a hard drive for this part.

The idea is to simplify the process of getting rid of floppies.

-s