Subject: Re: Please give me some reasons.
To: None <bmike@bigfoot.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/05/1999 22:10:57
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 6 Apr 1999 02:11:15 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.9.3/8.9.3) id WAA08271;
	Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:10:58 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:10:57 -0400
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: bmike@bigfoot.com
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 03:45:09AM +0800, bmike@bigfoot.com wrote:

> Sorry again, I have no spite to NetBSD's users. I just want some ideas
> to help me making a decision.

Hm. Things I particularly like about NetBSD:

The package system is cool, in that you can determine where you want your
package tree. The default, /usr/pkg, makes it really easy to separate out
stuff you've built yourself from stuff the package system has installed.
FreeBSD defaults to /usr/local, and I'm not sure that can be changed. That's
one win.

Next, I like how things are laid out in /etc. I definitely have a lot less
experience with FreeBSD than I do with NetBSD, but when I've set up FreeBSD
boxes, it seemed like the configuration wasn't as centralized. (This is
purely subjective, and someone else may well feel the opposite.)

As other folks have said, I started off with NetBSD because it supported
the hardware I had at the time. This general hardware support is a good
thing, and NetBSD tends to have good support for things. For instance, if
you have a PC with USB ports on it, only recently would you have been
able to use those USB ports with any Unix other than NetBSD.

You'll have to make your own decision, of course, but my feeling is that
you'll be happy with NetBSD.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped