Subject: Re: Please give me some reasons.
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/04/1999 13:35:06
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 4 Apr 1999 17:35:34 -0000
	by mtl.mit.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id NAA03957;
	Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:35:07 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
cc: bmike@bigfoot.com, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On 4 Apr 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > The most machines which people use are PCs.
> > The most machines which NetBSD run on are PCs, too.
> > Why not choose FreeBSD, if I only have PCs?

> More seriously, of course NetBSD people will tell you NetBSD is
> better, and FreeBSD people will tell you to use FreeBSD. What do you
> hope to accomplish by posting this here? A flame war?

I've asked similar questions to vendors of various products, ie "your
competition has a nice product, why should I buy yours?" and sometimes I
get useful answers like "well, we really do this function nicely", so I
think its a perfectly valid question.

As for myself, I started using NetBSD because at the time (late 1995) it
was simply my only option on an older MacIntosh.  Since then I've ended up
with an assortment of hardware and its really nice to have them all act
the same.  My experience over the last 3 years has been that NetBSD is a
stable, reliable operating system.  I feel its easier to use than some of
the commercial OS's I've had to use.

As far as why NetBSD over FreeBSD, I really don't know enough about the
differences to make a fair comparison, however, nothing has ever made me
feel the need to look for a different OS since switching to NetBSD.

-Dan