Subject: Re: Need to counteract FUD from Rik Farrow's column in ;login:
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/01/1999 19:08:15
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 2 Apr 1999 00:08:36 -0000
	by 7thsun.piermont.com (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id TAA20987;
	Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:08:15 -0500 (EST)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:08:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To: "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net>
cc: "Neil A. Carson" <neil@causality.com>, jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us,
        netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> I'm confused.  Are you saying that NetBSD is not a free Unix or are you
> saying that our 15 ports (not counting experimental ports) is less than
> what Linux supports?  As far as I know, Linux doesn't run on more than 4
> or 5 platforms.

Linux runs on a lot more than that. How many depends on what you
consider `Linux.' If things like memory management and a separate
address space for each process are considered `optional' rather
than a critical part of Linux, it runs on more than NetBSD.

I've put together a little page discussing this issue. It's out of
date right now, unfortunately, but it's better than nothing. See

    http://www.cynic.net/~cjs/computer/os-ports.html

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.