Subject: Re: Need to counteract FUD from Rik Farrow's column in ;login:
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/01/1999 12:55:04
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 1 Apr 1999 20:54:33 -0000
          by deimos.nc.com (8.8.4/8.8.4) with ESMTP
	  id MAA23678; Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:47:47 -0800 (PST)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:55:04 -0800
From: "Neil A. Carson" <neil@causality.com>
To: "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net>
CC: jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" wrote:

> I'm confused.  Are you saying that NetBSD is not a free Unix or are you
> saying that our 15 ports (not counting experimental ports) is less than
> what Linux supports?  As far as I know, Linux doesn't run on more than 4
> or 5 platforms.

I'm saying Linux has been used on more platforms. However, the majority
of these platforms are not incorporated into the main tree, and many are
functional only for specific (often older) versions of the sources. In
other words, it's a mess---however, probably technically, linux has
'run' on more processors. As a prevoius poster said, it depends on your
position of 'run.'

But anyway, who cares? The proof of the pudding is in the eating anyway,
and it's not like Linux on a palm pilot is going to be useful in any
case. What matters is usefulness, not silly platform counts.

	Neil