Subject: Re: Binary Emulation pages
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/01/1999 21:07:42
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 2 Mar 1999 01:07:52 -0000
	via sendmail with stdio
	id <m10Hdex-00000aC@smtp.fundy.net>
	for netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG; Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:07:43 -0400 (AST)
	(Smail-3.2.0.101 1997-Dec-17 #4 built 1998-May-27)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:07:42 -0400
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 03:46:36PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, David Maxwell wrote:
> > http://user.fundy.net/david
> Cool!
>
> On the first page, you may add a note on the execution formats - feel
> free to take whatever you need from
> http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/NetBSD/AFAQ/FAQ.html#SEC93 (a
> bit outedated, the hp300 port has the same pagesize as other ports have
> these days).

Yes, I'd like to think of a way to work ELF etc in, but I was trying to keep
the text fairly easy to read, and couldn't come up with a way to explain
it without getting a bit technical. I'll keep it in mind for my next
additions to the page and try a bit harder.

Great pointer to the Amiga info too. Thanks.

> On the port specific pages, you should not try to duplicate information
> about what each port is (e.g. in the i386 case, just add alink to the
> appropriate page describing that "i386" means).

That's a combo of looking for material to get things started as well as
wanting something that would cover the CPU platform side of things to
help people understand what each port covers.

> Then, i think we (-current :) runs Solaris/intel as well, and maybe SCO?
> Maybe you can check... :>

Both I believe, Solaris under
options         COMPAT_SVR4     # binary compatibility with SVR4
options         EXEC_ELF32      # 32-bit ELF executables (SVR4, Linux)
and SCO in:
options         COMPAT_IBCS2    # binary compatibility with SCO and ISC

By no means do I expect the lists will be complete until they're ready for
other people to submit info to. There are a number of ports that I have
no experience with/access to hardware of.

> The intro page is good. I just wonder if the information about which port
> supports emulation of which OS (and maybe to which extend!) may be placed
> elsewhere, maybe on http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/*/index.html.

I'd say the supported emulation info certainly belongs on those pages,
but I don't think it's out of place where I've put it. (Feel free to tell
me I'm wrong) To me it feels like a good 'intro' to the application list
below, which is really the main driving force for the page(s).

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,