Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/1999 14:47:04
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 22 Feb 1999 19:47:50 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.9.3/8.9.3) id OAA19794;
	Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:47:04 -0500 (EST)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:47:04 -0500
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
Cc: root@garbled.net, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG,
        Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 11:09:09AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> So Ding! I just made a PR department. Now what?

Okay. Now, we get a list of volunteers, and post their names to a NetBSD
web page, both for their own glory and to act as a reminder and guilt-prodder
when they slack off. (A list of activities with target completion dates and
summaries of activity, listed by volunteer, all available on the public web
page, would be a good way to let the project as a whole track the PR group's
progress.)

So, on the page:

Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>

PR task: Research NetBSD bumper stickers, form proposal
Target Completion Date:	1999.03.15
PR task: Get and distribute front-panel badges
Target Completion Date: 1999.02.22
	requested badges but who haven't sent SASEs yet.

Next, this group of people use email to form a plan of attack for doing stuff,
first deciding what needs to be done, and then deciding how to do it. We've
got the netbsd-advocacy list set up already, and this seems the ideal forum
for this sort of work, since it's public and tuned towards this sort of thing.

A group run by no one in particular would be worthwhile, I think - I'd rather
not have any one person in charge, personally. We can do group meetings on the
IRC channel, if it proves convenient for deciding things, and we can issue
periodic reports to core and/or announce, or something.

I'm interested in doing this, and I expect that other people will be, too.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped