Subject: Re: NetBSD/Linux 'distribution'
To: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/1999 14:28:19
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 21 Feb 1999 19:29:01 -0000
	by toad.rmkhome.com (8.8.8/8.8.7) id OAA22726;
	Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:28:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
To: neil@causality.com (Neil A. Carson)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:28:19 -0500 (EST)
Cc: davidw@debian.org, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

Neil A. Carson said:

>To me, the advantages of BSD are in the userlands, not so much in the
>kernel: Linux userlands (whatever they may be) are, on the whole, a
>meddled mess. The NetBSD one is concise; if anything I'd want to do the
>opposite of what you suggest, though to be honest I don't see the point
>in doing either.

I run NetBSD because it is BSD UNIX, and I think, the best of the lot.
This includes kernel, userland, and the basic philosophy of the core
group.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to replace the userland with the
gnu userland. The long-range goal of NetBSD is to get away from gnu.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@toad.rmkhome.com  rmk@rmkhome.com
            http://tencats.rmkhome.com/