Subject: Re: Old machines (was Re: Do you like my new NetBSD banner?)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/15/1999 10:39:35
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 15 Jan 1999 15:39:36 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.9.2/8.9.2) id KAA19228
	for netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG; Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:39:35 -0500 (EST)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:39:35 -0500
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 10:53:48PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:

> FWIW, the work end of my home link is still a 1.1 box.  It lives in a
> LAN room in a building that I'm not even sure I have access to anymore,
> and I'm a little too cowardly to try a remote upgrade...

Heh! What's the uptime on the thing?

> I've still got a few binaries in /usr/local/bin that are pre-shared
> libraries that serve no real purpose but "history" - who uses zmodem any
> more?

As it turns out, my workplace uses <shudder> NT boxes for client systems.
(Except for me - my desktop has a FreeBSD box and an HP-UX box on it, which
are better for accessing our NetBSD servers, which do all our real work.)

For secure access, the NT folks all using SecureCRT from VanDyke. For some
unfortunate reason, VanDyke didn't implement scp functionality, but they
*do* support zmodem through their ssh link. Go figure.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.nws.net/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments