Subject: Re: 1"x1" 4.4BSD daemon badges
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/13/1999 22:27:52
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 14 Jan 1999 03:31:25 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.9.2/8.9.2) id WAA27810;
	Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:27:52 -0500 (EST)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:27:52 -0500
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: "Soren S. Jorvang" <soren@t.dk>
Cc: mckusick@mckusick.com, grog@lemis.com, seebs@plethora.net,
        netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 03:53:11AM +0100, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:

> At the time, I got the impression from you that I would have
> to pay you a licensing fee, which deterred me somewhat, although
> not fatally.

There are two things, as I understand it. First, we (I?) have permission to
do a batch of one hundred, with the royalty coming in the form of a few of
the badges for Kirk's personal collection. Second, the company that seems
to be interested in producing these badges on a regular basis is, as I
understand it, working with Kirk on royalty issues. They seem happy with
the idea of paying royalties, as I understand it, and that's good, since
giving something back to those who made our OS obsession possible is a
desireable thing.

I don't have details about those negotiations, though, nor do I intend to
pursue them, since they'll likely be solely between Kirk and the company.

I apologize for not posting an update to the netbsd-advocacy group, but I've
been waiting for final details and confirmation from the company so I could
come back with a time the badges would be available and numbers, and the like.

As for giving them away freely... I'd like to at least have postal costs
covered, to some extent, although self-addressed, stamped envelopes would
cover that. Given the relatively low price of the badges, I'm not as concerned
about recouping production costs, as it's all for a good cause and it would
be a tangible way for me to contribute to *BSD, and NetBSD in particular, but
that's something to talk about once badges exist, IMHO.

FWIW, the company involved - at least the one I've been talking to - can be
found on the web at <http://www.scotgold.com>.

Also FWIW, I see no reason why we can't have multiple people having badges
done, as long as each individual get Kirk's permission first. My personal
design I'm going to have done is the BSD Daemon with "NetBSD" written under
him. Maybe others want something else, like the NetBSD "Unknown Daemon"
image or something.

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us..acheron.ddns.org/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments