Subject: RE: tree access
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/19/1998 23:40:28
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 20 Dec 1998 06:42:06 -0000
	by polaris.garbled.net (8.8.8/8.8.8) id XAA29296;
	Sat, 19 Dec 1998 23:40:28 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 23:40:28 -0700 (MST)
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On 19-Dec-98 Perry E. Metzger spoke unto us all:
#  I would suggest that those who want to pitch in can do so without even
#  having tree access -- just find things you would like fixed, fix them
#  and submit patches. PRs with good patches in them almost always get
#  fixed immediately. If you can show that you really intend to
#  contribute and have requisite ability, you'll likely get tapped.

I have to second this.  I never asked to be a developer.  I just started
submiting hoards of PR's (with fixes attached)

Eventually someone either noticed me, or got sick of my PR's clogging up the
database, and invited me in.  The downside to this was my first duty was to
close all my own PR's..  ;)

I think the pkg system is a wonderful example of this.  You really don't have
to know all the internal kernel goop to contribute.  You just need to
understand makefiles, and the pkg system, and you can churn them out.  It's a
great way for people who want to help out, get involved with a very low
learning curve.  You will also find that we generally jump on pkg PR's pretty
quickly, or at least try to.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org