Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/19/1998 02:04:38
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 19 Dec 1998 10:05:47 -0000
	by shell17.ba.best.com (8.9.0/8.9.0/best.sh) id CAA15161;
	Sat, 19 Dec 1998 02:04:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
To: perry@piermont.com
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 02:04:38 -0800 (PST)
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

> We often *do* take months to fix PRs. That isn't the point. You
> claimed people's PRs were being ignored because of who they are.  That
> doesn't happen.

Hm, maybe my late night mail-crunching sessions have created a mouth affinity
for my feet this week.

Definitely there are people who are annoyed because PR's were sent and
nothing definite ever happened. For example, the one and only PR I ever
sent was said to be a feature and not a bug, but the PR is still 'Open'.

AFAIK no one has ever cried 'discrimination', and I certainly did not mean
to imply it at any point. Any confusion is probably my fault then; sorry.

> What does often happen is that we don't have the
> manpower to hit everything quickly.

Understood.

> > Can gnats automatically send email when the state of a PR changes?
>
> It already does.

(Fools around with GNATS web interface) It looks like the transition to
'suspended' will handle what I am thinking of here. So it all comes back
to finding PR volunteers. Okay.

> No, he has an actual source changes digest mailing list.

Ah. Is there any reason _not_ to put this on the web page? I'd love to
add it to my daily "news.com/slashdot/netbsd.org/etc" web fix.

It's like "FreshMeat" for -current. In particular new device support.
Those of us who have a Fry's nearby might be able to help test drivers
that interest us...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com