Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/18/1998 22:55:19
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 19 Dec 1998 03:56:25 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.9.1/8.9.1) id WAA01605;
	Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:55:19 -0500 (EST)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:55:19 -0500
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>, perry@piermont.com
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 05:30:11AM -0800, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> > I've brought on five developers thus far explicitly to work on the PR
> > database, and none have panned out. People just hate working on this.
> > I'll keep trying, though.
>
> How about giving Mason Loring Bliss the necessary access and trying him out?
>
> He _did_ volunteer to do PR work last week. I can't believe he "didn't work
> out" if he never even started on it.

Hm... Let me expand on this a touch.

1) The family medical emergency I mentioned within the last week has passed,
hopefully for good, for the time being, and my work schedule will be quite a
bit lighter now that my place has hired two new support folks. (Well... It'll
be quite a bit different, at any rate, but in a good way.)

2) I've finally got a reliable, good, fast, full-time net connection. (That
is to say, "a cable modem.") This means that I'll be far better equipped to
do NetBSD-related work while at the office or elsewhere, which will be nice
compared to my former state of only being able to do useful work from home,
given the stunningly laggy nature of my old full-time modem-based connection.

3) I need to learn to use CVS to be able to commit fixes. I'm willing and
interested.

4) I'd be perfectly happy doing PR cleaning. My interest is in being a part
of the project in a tangible way. I want to point to little bits of NetBSD
and be able to say "I did that!" Working through PRs is a means to that end,
and it's something that is both useful to the project and a workable way to
forceably become more familiar with NetBSD's innards.

If I'm not needed, eventually I'll jump ship and swim to where I can be a
contributor, I suppose. As I've said many times previously, however, I think
NetBSD is the right project if for no other reason than that it has the best
multi-platform integration.

<steps down from soap box>

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us..acheron.ddns.org/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments