Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/18/1998 06:28:51
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 18 Dec 1998 16:28:56 -0000
	id 38C65149; Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:28:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
To: hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 06:28:51 -0800 (PST)
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

>> Everyone I talk to at work who knows anything about free unix and actually
>> recognizes "NetBSD" generally has a blase' attitude towards it, and repeats
>> some line about how either (a) core are assholes, or (b) they're so quiet are
>> they dead or just in a coma.
> *chuckle*... So first you make the claim that the general perception is that
> core are 'assholes' or 'apathetic' and then list a few things that are wrong.
> While listing the things that are wrong, I had trouble seeing how any of them
> are related to 'core' being 'assholes' or 'apathetic'...

You might notice that I qualified my statement by describing the limits of
my data set. Also if you are looking for direct causes you won't find any.

I'm talking about public relations and image building here, and it involves
a lot of details being consistent with the big picture people are expected to
to buy into. NetBSD's outward image screams "purist cathedral" compared to
Linux and FreeBSD, and that is what I'm trying to find ways to change, not
drastically, but enough to keep it from slowing the growth of the Project.

> I get the impression you think that 'core' is expected to do all the work
> in the project... That it is core's responsibility to respond to every
> PR with a 'good work. thanx for helping. we'll get to this PR in good time.'
> and that 'core' should update the project pages...

Sorry, I was not clear. It is not core's job to do that work, but it IS
core's job to see that _someone_ does. If it is not working out, you
escalate. There is no reason why the web page should not SHOUT on the
front page "if you are interested in contributing please read this link"
which lists the most urgent positions and/or projects that need volunteers.

> I also see that you're volunteering to do a bunch of stuff... I think this
> is great so obviously you're not completely under the perception that it
> is a 'core' responsibility to do all these things...

Certainly. Core would simply burn out if they tried to do everything.

But I sure see a tendency to handle things secretively, when it seems much
more effective to leverage the web site to attract more new contributors.

> You see, it's not really core's place to bless these things and say "yes,
> this is part of the great plan of NetBSD!"... Do something and if people
> like it, they'll grab it and run with it... If people don't like it, or
> no one responds, please don't blame "core".

Don't underestimate the FUD power that fills the vacuum when no visible
representative of core (or the web site) is seen regularly blessing things
in various small ways.

The 'project czar' is the single best thing that would help NetBSD right
now. Lots of less-committed volunteers can swirl around the project czar
in ways that are not currently possible because of the mythical atmosphere
that, in the mind a of newbie, tends to surround core.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com