Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/16/1998 13:22:59
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 16 Dec 1998 18:24:48 -0000
          by trantor.cosmic.com (8.8.7/8.8.4)
	  id NAA24126; Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:22:59 -0500
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG
Date: 16 Dec 1998 13:22:59 -0500

Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> writes:

> > NetBSD doesn't quite have the hype potential that Linux does;
> > we just have to get by pure technical merit. :)
>
> I wonder how long that will last with Core falling apart while concurrently
> alienating potential developers. While it's far from the ivory-tower purity
> of the BSDs, there are *so many* people running Linux that things that are
> blatantly wrong are bound to be fixed with some rapidity.

Ahh yes, the "million monkeys pounding on keyboards" theory of
software development.  It's undeniably a useful means of finding and
fixing bugs, but I'm much less convinced of its benefit in designing
and writing new code.  Read linux-kernel for a couple of weeks and you
will see a recurring theme: "we'd love to implement <feature>, but
because of the way <other feature> was designed, it will be a huge
nightmare, and break many things."  The whole discussion about how to
implement union mounts under the current Linux fs layer (something
basic which *BSD has had for years) is a good example.

As far as "alienating potential developers", I've heard this complaint
about NetBSD Core a lot more than I have actually experienced it.  Can
you be a bit more specific?

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.