Subject: Re: Daemon license (was: Something I noticed on the Yahoo site)
To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/13/1998 00:09:07
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 13 Dec 1998 08:10:28 -0000
	by shell17.ba.best.com (8.9.0/8.9.0/best.sh) id AAA12461;
	Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:09:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
To: grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:09:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

> Since when does Kirk want any money for the license?  His only
> stipulation so far has been that the use of the daemon must somehow be
> related to BSD, and I can't see he'll have any problems in this case.

Apparently not money, but definitely written permission. From the source:

    If you want to mass produce the daemon on Tshirts, CDROM's, etc you
    need to request permission in advance. In general, I require that the
    daemon be used in an appropriate way. This means that it has to be
    something related to BSD and not expropriated as a company logo (though
    I do allow companies with BSD-based products such as Walnut Creek CDROM
    or BSDI to use it). I regret having to be so legalistic about the daemon,
    but I almost lost the daemon to a certain large company because I failed
    to show due dilligence in protecting it. So, I've taken due dilligence
    seriously since then.

Full text at:
http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/copyright.html

Todd Whitesel