Subject: Re: Something I noticed on the Yahoo site
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/10/1998 14:50:27
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 10 Dec 1998 19:50:51 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.9.1/8.9.1) id OAA19682;
	Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:50:27 -0500 (EST)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:50:27 -0500
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 11:38:25AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> Lets see, at the last conference where we had a booth, the displays were
> open about 2 hours on each day...

Hm. The booths were open six or seven hours each this time around, I
believe.

> Since it takes about 30 minutes to toast a CD, that's what, 4 CD's
> every day?

Half an hour seems a bit slow, but yeah, it wouldn't be a wildly quick
process. I think it would quite likely match the demand, although this is
a guess. Having two burners available would almost certainly meet the
demand.

> Get real.

This, I assume, is an indication of your frustration, and not an example
of your typical leadership style. In any event, I feel extremely "real"
with regard to that about which I have been writing.

>  > The impression I take away from all this is "Nah, we don't need you." If
>  > this isn't the case, please enlighten me.
>
> The impression you should be taking away is "Come on, be realistic.  It's
> fine and dandy to do armchair marketing especially when you're playing with
> other peoples' money; but it's quite another to actually proactively _do_
> something."

The "Nah, we don't need you" refers more to my not hearing back about a code
submission, and my not hearing anything about taking on a minor role in
processing PRs and the like. I haven't taken a proactive role in traditional
marketing for NetBSD. I was commenting there on what may or may not be a
common perception among folks.

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.ddns.org/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments