Subject: Re: Something I noticed on the Yahoo site
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/10/1998 11:38:25
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 10 Dec 1998 18:38:46 -0000
	by beer.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id LAA27360;
	Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:38:30 -0700 (MST)
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:38:25 -0700

Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>  wrote:
 > *New* folks did have the OpenBSD booth to visit, however. I guess the
 > financial juggernaut that is OpenBSD simply has more resources than us.
 > Despite my personal feelings about the project, they certainly do seem to
 > exhibit more enthusiasm.

Just because the leader of the OpenBSD project uses CD revenues to pay
for his food and rent and thereby requires persistant marketing to keep
the money coming in.  I have 2 other jobs that pay for my food and
mortgage and it's the maintenance of those jobs that keeps me from actively
setting up booths for you to visit.

 > That would be fairly silly, I agree. Far more sparing of resources would be
 > a NetBSD system set up in the booth, with a CD burner attached, turning out
 > CDs on the fly. This would allow for some nice flexibility with regard to
 > what's on each CD, assuming some "best guess" images were set up in advance.

Lets see, at the last conference where we had a booth, the displays were
open about 2 hours on each day... Since it takes about 30 minutes to
toast a CD, that's what, 4 CD's every day?

Get real.

 > The impression I take away from all this is "Nah, we don't need you." If
 > this isn't the case, please enlighten me.

The impression you should be taking away is "Come on, be realistic.  It's
fine and dandy to do armchair marketing especially when you're playing with
other peoples' money; but it's quite another to actually proactively _do_
something."