Subject: Re: Merging Net/Free/Open-BSD together against Linux
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/25/1998 15:16:10
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 25 Nov 1998 20:17:38 -0000
          by trantor.cosmic.com (8.8.7/8.8.4)
	  id PAA11551; Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:16:12 -0500
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, toddpw@best.com, alicia@internetpaper.com
Date: 25 Nov 1998 15:16:10 -0500

[ moved here from port-i386 ]

John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com> writes:

> > Yes. This is because compared to Linux, the *BSD development process
> looks
> > so much like a non-profit Cathedral it isn't funny. Thus, every kid
> who
> > wants to dabble in the free O/S racket starts fooling around with
> Linux,
> > either because it's the first free O/S he heard about (this has
> incumbent
> > effects of its own), or because he tried to get into the *BSD's and
> found
> > that if he tried too hard to help out, many people would treat him
> like an
> > irritating pest.
>
> Interesting statements...
>
> First of all, I really don't know why you say that the *BSD
> development process looks like a "non-profit Cathedral". My
> impression is that each of the BSDs (intended plural) is developed
> using what could be considered a professional development model;
> certainly one which is no worse than that used by so-called industry
> leaders.

The standard commercial software development model IS a cathedral,
according to the terminology used in Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral and
the Bazaar" paper.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.